Fine Arts and Media Art, Transmedia Art
2021W, artistic Seminar (SEK), 2.0 ECTS, 2.0 semester hours, course number S02791
“Usurp the body. Become your avatar. Be the glitch.”
- excerpt From: Legacy Russell “Glitch Feminism: A Manifesto”
Declining the idea of “digital dualism”, the lecture reflects on our contemporary Reality as one in which the virtual informs the physical, and vice-versa.
Over the course of 2 semesters, “Digital Design and Virtuality I & II” theoretical examples and practical exercise will help the participants in questioning the idea of self, identity, body and space by embodying the virtual, re-mapping and re-structuring the physical and performing within a (new) Hybrid Reality.
The first semester will reflect on the idea of body and Avatar and how our digital personas are not separated constructions but rather actualisations of our personhood.
Through free / open source / low-budget tools and devices for 3D scanning, Motion Capturing and Augmented Reality, participants will work on a new expression of the self and self-empowerment.
*optional but recommended reading list:
- Legacy Russell, Glitch Feminism: A Manifesto
- Ceci Moss, Expanded Internet Art: twenty-First-Century Artistic Practice and the Informal Milieu
- Tiziana Terranova, Network Culture. Politics for the Information Age
- Jay David Bolter & Richard Grusin, Remediation. Understanding New Media
- Robbie Cooper, Alter Ego: Avatar and Their Creators
- On the last lecture day, participants will present the projects developed during the semester that reflects on the lecture’s topic and incorporates any of the tools provided.
- 75% of active presence
- The Lecture will be held in English.
- The Practical part of the lecture will take in account the skill level of the participants and is intended for both beginners and advance levels. This means no previous skills are necessary but any previous skill will be welcome (especially in photo/video/3D).
- You will need access to a laptop and smartphone. If you should not be able to do that, please contact the lecturer via email to discuss alternatives.
- Participation and engagement in the lecture is essential and required to complete the semester.
virtual art, mixed reality, augmented reality, vr, ar, webVR, digital activism, digital body, digital self, avatar, 3D scanning, virtual space, virtual performance, virtual public space, virtual intervention, internet art, interactive art, art in public space, performance, public space
12 October 2021, 10:00–12:30 Computer Studio, Transmedia Art
19 October 2021, 10:00–12:30 Computer Studio, Transmedia Art
09 November 2021, 10:00–12:30 Computer Studio, Transmedia Art
16 November 2021, 10:00–12:30 Computer Studio, Transmedia Art
23 November 2021, 10:00–12:30 Computer Studio, Transmedia Art
30 November 2021, 10:00–12:30 Computer Studio, Transmedia Art
07 December 2021, 10:00–12:30 Computer Studio, Transmedia Art
14 December 2021, 10:00–12:30 Computer Studio, Transmedia Art
11 January 2022, 10:00–12:30 Computer Studio, Transmedia Art
18 January 2022, 10:00–12:30 Computer Studio, Transmedia Art
From 13 July 2021, 00:00 to 03 October 2021, 00:00
Via online registration
TransArts - Transdisciplinary Arts (Bachelor): Artistic and art technology foundations: Artistic and art technology foundations
Media Arts: Specialisation in Transmedia Arts (2. Section): Materialität und Medien: Digitaler Entwurf und Virtualität I - II
Co-registration: not possible
Attending individual courses: not possible