Fine Arts and Media Art, Digital Arts
2020S, artistic Seminar (SEK), 2.0 ECTS, 2.0 semester hours, course number S02806
Home-specific performance practices: constraint, intimacy and abstraction, and the ethics of irreplaceability.
Is co-presence interchangeable? Is the artistic encounter, particularly the performative kind, replaceable by the fact of meeting online? Couldn’t the present crisis be a unique occasion to become more aware of the irreplaceable nature of the corporeal character of the encounter in art? Wouldn't it be more coherent, in these circumstances, to abstain from online consumption? Why not develop a new form of minimalism, countering the idea that everything can be digitalized, which simply adds to the deafening noise of information entropy? Why not take this opportunity to reaffirm the unique and irreplaceable nature of the artistic encounter?
This seminar will alternate between an online and an offline presence. It will propose simple meditative-performative somatic practices, achievable in a domestic setting, from which the work of the participants will benefit, as a relevant topical artistic context. Grounded on these practices, participants will be called upon to make short performative videos. Group exchange will be fostered as much as possible. Furthermore, the course is designed to leave room for a necessary and possibly invaluable silence-absence in the perspective of a reflective redefinition of artistic practices and non-practices in relation to the current situation, where less might mean more.
- Active participation and regular attendance
- Project development in the context of the course
- Response to the performative instructions in the form of a video
- Constitution of a diary on the seminar’s performative practices, processes, and reflections
- Participation in online discussions, based on the sharing of everyone's practical and reflective experience, linked to the proposed exercises.
The seminar will use the Zoom software as a means of communication. The audio-visual and written material produced in the framework of the course, will, for the sake of data protection, only be shared with the teacher (unless a different agreement is reached with the participants, on a case-by-case basis).
Course with practical orientations:
- Participants are encouraged to secure a specific place in their apartment to which they have access and where they can concentrate as much as possible during course periods. Ideally, this will be the same place from one session to another, as it will be the subject of the work carried out as part of the course. This place can be small, for example, centering on a bed or a desk, be a bathroom or even a closet.
- There will be a limited number of participants.
- The seminar is held partly in English, partly in German.
- Please register by April 23, 2020.
Registration by e-mail: email@example.com
The link and the passwords to join the meetings via the Zoom platform will be communicated to you once you have registered for the course by email.
* The course is part of the APL (Angewandte Performance Laboratory).
body-based performance, perceptual awareness, composition techniques, digital arts, abstraction, intimacy, ethics, minimalism, co-presence, somatic and mediative practices, constraint, artistic process
24 April 2020, 18:00–20:00 Zoom meeting , "including offline periods for working alone" (preliminary discussion)
08 May 2020, 18:00–21:00 Zoom meeting , "including offline periods for working alone"
09 May 2020, 13:30–17:30 Zoom meeting , "including offline periods for working alone"
10 May 2020, 13:30–17:30 Zoom meeting , "including offline periods for working alone"
15 May 2020, 18:00–21:00 Zoom meeting , "including offline periods for working alone"
16 May 2020, 13:30–17:30 Zoom meeting , "including offline periods for working alone"
17 May 2020, 13:30–17:30 Zoom meeting , "including offline periods for working alone"
via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
TransArts - Transdisciplinary Arts (Bachelor): Artistic and art technology foundations
Media Arts: Specialisation in Digital Arts (2. Section): Mutationen zeitbasierter Systeme im Raum I - IV
Individual courses: possible