Building Construction Integration
Architecture, Building Construction
2019W, Seminar (SE), 2.0 semester hours, course number S01982
According to the Curriculum of the Architecture master programme, 9 ECTS from the subject groups “Realisation”, “Theory”, and “Management, Practice and Communication” must be completed as integrated courses in connection with Architectural Design (Architectural Design 5). Students will work on the contents of the various subjects based on their own designs (§ 5 par. 7).
Building Construction Integration is offered as one of these integrated courses. The seminar can also be attended in connection with Architectural Design 1 - 4.
Based on the topic of the studio design project the construction design shall be developed concurrently with the spatial design in an integrative process. In this way students will test the interplay of architectonic parameters - such as the influence of constructive decisions on the overall conception (and vice versa) and the contribution of tectonics and detailing to the formal expression of architecture.
Depending on the brief of the studio design project and the individual interests of the students for each of them a specific topic will be defined which has to be investigated systematically.
The project will consist of:
1) a research part (e.g. analysis of reference examples in terms of comparable requirements and structural design solutions) including a documentation of the results.
2) Integration of the studied principles into the design; elaboration of a structural solution + architectural design scheme.
Review, submission of the project in digital form and on paper including documentation of the research work and presentation of constructural solution
Hand-in for Building Construction A/B/C and/or Integration
please do not forget to incorporate your name, studio, Matrikel Nr., course, drawing scale and very important labeling of different building parts / components / layers / materials / material thickness ;-)
The presentation should include:
1) a structural concept of the entire project (or a larger part of it as agreed with the tutors)
2) plans, sections, elevations (scale as agreed with the tutors)
5) 3 details 1:10, 3 different details drawn as a vertical section and a horizontal section (makes 6 details in total)
6) exploded assembly drawing of the building envelope
Attendance at the „Making of“ lectures is part of the course and compulsory!
Examples of student work can be found: https://buildingconstruction.at/seminar/bc-integration/
Curriculum Allocation and ECTS
co-registration: possible (3.0 ECTS)
Architecture (Master): Integration: Realisation (3.0 ECTS)
Individual courses: possible (3.0 ECTS)