Introduction to Communication and Cooperation Strategies
Institut für Kunst und Gesellschaft, Cross-Disciplinary Strategies
2018W, Vorlesung und Übungen (VU), 2.0 SemStd., LV-Nr. S02167
In a world of massive information overflow and oversaturated human attention capacities the design of communication and cooperation strategies rely on a deep understanding of network dynamics and general knowledge of the sometimes erratic behavior of complex systems, the basic laws of creating resonance and influencing the human mind as well as knowledge about principles of framing and storytelling. Goal of our lecture is an introduction into the basic science of communication in networks and practical techniques to develop strategies that are up to the challenge of a world characterized by short attention spans, social segmentation, and generally an increase in divisiveness. The guiding principle of our lecture is Kurt Lewin´s "there is nothing more practical than a good theory". So we will dig into the philosophy of current network science and complexity theory, see how different narratives resonate within different cultural frames (cultural theory) and learn about the role of the "shadow of the future" in building alliances and cooperative tactics. From the very beginning we will apply these models and theories by designing together a practical communication and networking strategy for the following challenge: How to communicate through radically new frames and formats the value of art in education and society?
You will engage in ongoing active group work with investigative tasks (reading papers, looking for online material, examples etc.)
At the end of the semester you will present as a group your concept for a new communication and cooperation strategy on how to communicate the value of arts in education and science and how to build up new alliances and cooperation strategies.
The quality of the presentation will be assessed by the group (50%) and by the lecturer (50%) according to following dimension:
- Depth and originality of translating theory into practise (40 %)
- Quality and sophistication of networking and cooperation strategy (25%)
- Quality of visuals, narrative and framing (25%)
- Performance of presentation (10%)
Students from other faculties or universities will be given a place on the course subject to room capacities.
11. Jänner 2019, 09:15–18:00 Cross-Disciplinary Strategies - Lecture Room , „General Introduction, Understanding Network Dynamics“
18. Jänner 2019, 09:15–18:00 Cross-Disciplinary Strategies - Lecture Room , „Cultural Theory, Human Scale Development“
25. Jänner 2019, 09:15–18:00 Cross-Disciplinary Strategies - Lecture Room , „Framing Theory and Story Telling, Game Theory and Story Telling“
01. Februar 2019, 09:15–11:45 Cross-Disciplinary Strategies - Lecture Room , „exam“ (Prüfung)
06. März 2019, 09:00–11:00 Cross-Disciplinary Strategies - Lecture Room , „2. Prüfungstermin“ (Prüfung)
Von 03. Oktober 2018, 00:00 bis 11. Jänner 2019, 00:00
Per Online Anmeldung
Studienplanzuordnung und ECTS
Cross-Disciplinary Strategies (Bachelor): Einführung in Kommunikations- und Kooperationsstrategien (4.0 ECTS)
Mitbelegung: möglich (4.0 ECTS)
Besuch einzelner Lehrveranstaltungen: möglich (4.0 ECTS)